As I am have been using this blog to chronicle our journey with the diagnosis of a very short cervix at week 16 and finding out we are having another little girl, updates as we made our decision between cerclage procedure and the pessary, our long awaited pessary arrival (that was supposed to be overnighted from Europe), and the "all is stable" vote of confidence 4 days after it was placed with my ever anxiety-inducing pregnancy tracker - I wanted to continue to provide bi-weekly updates as we meet with our MFM as I have been overwhelmed with the number of women who have reached out from the IC community that have been rooting for us, but also are going through very very similar situations and have asked to follow our journey.
Yesterday I went in for a cervical length check and the anatomy scan at 19 weeks and 3 days. We have 52 days until minimum viability and 145 days until full term. Great news is our little girl is doing fantastically well, measuring in the 73rd percentile at 11 ounces and everything from brain to kidneys looks to be functioning perfectly!
We also received our second trimester blood screening work back (which is fascinating to me as the state of California pays for it - very different from my 2nd Trimester screenings giving birth in D.C.) and were fortunate to find out our risks for all of the tested abnormalities were extremely extremely low.
Now, on to my business. My cervix measured 1.4 cms which is a blessing as it means I am stable - but still with the lingering reminder that 50% of pregnancies with length measuring at less than 1.5cms at 20 weeks end in preterm birth. The risk is real but the pessary and progesterone seem to be doing their job! That said, due to the potential for it to spontaneously shorten the entire length and open, Dr. W would not allow me to fly to my cousin Mike's wedding on the East Coast this weekend and wants me to further restrict my activity a bit.
With so much to be thankful for after seeing our healthy (and active!) little girl, I am doing my best to stay upbeat. These past three weeks I have admittedly been more active than I should have been, but for me mentally and emotionally, at least being able to travel to Boston and Sonoma to be surrounded by friends and still feel like I was participating, even if not being active, has made a huge difference. I am discouraged and saddened that I won't be able to see all of our family this weekend - and likely will not have an opportunity to see them until after Baby #2. Fortunately, my cousin and his beautiful bride were so understanding and actually reached out immediately after they heard I wouldn't be able to come - our little family is so blessed to have the love and support of our families during this time. It truly means everything.
I am off to cancel travel reservations for the weekend (wish me luck!) Thank you again for all of your ongoing prayers-- they are working and helping us greatly each and every day!